miniAnn

11.17.2005

Decade

In talking with my husband last night, we realized we've known each other for 10 years. We met online. It is so interesting how far our culture has come in the past decade. Now, no one bats an eye when I tell them I met my husband over the internet. When we were "dating" (you can't really call it dating when you're 900 miles apart) and in the first years of our marriage, I'd get the strangest looks from people when telling them how we met. Some people were fascinated by it, others thought we were nuts (including my parents at first). In the olden days of online dating we had to cross 6 states up hill both ways to meet our online interest. Not so with all the dating sites out there today. Also seems to be a lot more dangerous today. Most folks have a computer and internet access, including the crazies.

So, 10 years. That's a long freaking time. 11 years ago I would never have thought I'd meet the love of my life, let alone marry him and move away from Mississippi. In a state like MS, where teen pregnancy is high, education and job opportunities are low, there are always the kids whose goal it is to "get out." Especially if you're in a small town. I lived in two places in Mississippi - one had a population of around 20,000, the other 2000. I spent most of my childhood and teenage years in the larger of the two places. Somewhere in between was the 2k town where I spent 3 miserable years. When my family lived there, I was one of the kids who was going to "get out." Heh, I was also one of the kids who the town probably wouldn't have wanted to stick around because I asked too many questions and was a feminist. Anyway, when I wanted to get out of that town, that was it - just get out of that town. I eventually got my wish and my family moved back to the 20k town. I never had much desire to move away from there. If I hadn't met my Virginian, I'd probably still be there.

So, 10 years. I didn't date much before I met my husband (not that I date much now that we're married). I'm sure if I'd realized how much power the ta-tas can yield I'd have taken advantage of it. But due to other issues, I didn't know about that. I never thought I'd get married, never really expected to have kids so its a bit surprising to look back and think about that. My husband basically had the same expectations that I did. Maybe we weren't meant to meet until we were older, too old to have children, but that damn internet thwarted the fates. Riiiight. We could potentially spawn children that weren't meant to be in this world! Think of what they could do that shouldn't be done! They could invent a time-traveling device that rips apart space-time and life as we know it will end. The world is going to end cause of unprotected sex and the internet. I just turned 30, let's say I birth these babies within the next 5 years. I should spawn at least two so they can collaborate on this project together, and they will likely invent it in their mid-to-late 20's, maybe early 30's. And with my family history, they'll work out of my garage since they'll still be living at home. Folks, you got rougly 30 years to wrap up all your loose ends before the world ends. Maybe 40 if the kids are slow.

1 Comments:

At 11/18/2005 09:10:00 AM, Blogger raine studios said...

rofl.

10-4. I will start the shredding now. 40 years ought to be enough time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home